Thursday 4 July 2013

Konkan Road


Konkan Road, Watercolour on Paper, (20" X 14") 
 This is a place somewhere in Konkan where the summers are as hot as the mangoes are sweet. This depicts the place in summer with a typically harsh sunlight and deserted streets.



This is the preliminary sketch I used for this painting. I have made some minor changes, like the position of the bicycle etc. As always I think the sketch has greater impact than the final painting. Perhaps its the urge to create a "presentable" (read twee) and "good" final painting that causes it to lose the strength of the original sketch.
Thank you so much for stopping by. :)

2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Hi Vinay.
I think the finished painting is superb. And you are so right about the immediacy and impact of the "quick sketch". I've noted this with my work, too - I wonder why this is.

Vinayak Deshmukh said...

I agree Kathryn. Thanks for the kind comment. :)